Thursday, August 18, 2005

Squid and the Whale

I just saw a trailer for Squid and the Whale, which could easily have been mistaken as the trailer for Thumbsucker, which couldeasily have been mistaken for the trailer of Imaginary Heroes...blah...blah...blah.

I'm bored with these hollywoodish independent features about Suburban Malaise. About how ironic and absurd it is to be rich, white, and dysfunctional.

Am I the only one?

At least Donnie Darko was original adding the creepy sci-fi elements and the hidden neo-con evil angles.

At least Garden State was different in that it showed a protoganist yearning for that suburban malaise without even knowing it.

That's not to say that these films are poorly made or unwatchable. All I'm saying is, enough already! I get it!

I love Bill Murray, but after Lost in Translation, Life Aquatic, and Broken Flowers...Bill time for a regular comedy man...you've done the contempalitive autumn of my years thing to the hilt for the past 3 three years. Each film in itself is a great film, but one after another...ughhh...It's Ingmar Bergman without existentalism. Seeing these films has become yet another symptom of suburban malaise. It is like you're in an escher ink drawing.

No comments: