Friday, January 13, 2006

Who is our audience?

I've been reading a bit of the posts that like off of Don Hall's website regarding Theatre's relevancy and who the audience is.

There have been a ton of links and a bunch of people conversing back and forth about it.

I'm feeling frustrated about what I've read.

On the one hand, it is exciting to see so many people online who want to discuss the ins and outs of theatre. See everybody linking to everybody else's' blogs makes one feel the potentiality of an online community of artists.

But, I find it frustrating what everybody is talking about. There has been so much talk about why...why...why do we do what we do it the audience isn't as big as we wish, or why do we do it if it doesn't put food on the table or pay for itself. Honestly, It all makes me yawn. I read as much of it as I could. Ever since I had to leave college behind for the "real world" I've been hearing these sorts of conversations which end up sounding like self therapy. It always breaks down into the following paradigms

1) No one likes what I do, why?
2) No one likes what I do, fuck em!
3) What do people like? Do I want to change to please them?

Paragraph upon paragraph is written delving into one of these tangents. It all feels very cathartic, but it ends up being nothing more than the sound a tree makes in the forest if no one is there to hear it.

I'd like to see more verbs. More manifestos. More talking about what kind of art you like and less talk about who may or may not come to see it.

We all want a greater degree of appreciation. That's a given. Now, tell me what it is that you do, not what you want from your audience!

No comments: