Saturday, September 09, 2006

future muthafuqa

1. Clay Continent

A four week run in the Fall of 2007
Preceded by a number of performances based on the original concepts and directed and designed by a multitude of my friends and collaborators from Chicago. Various spaces or various types all over the city, promotion becomes perfromance...all of these little playlets, perfromances become something living breathing rather than a post card or a poster or a clever image...

Turn the prmotion, the marketing into performance...
If branding is about telling stories well then hell fire we can do that. Stop thinking of ourselves as sell outs or artists. New thinking about the play...turning it into the project. A small team of artists who are experimenting and playing and having fun and creating literallyin front of the audience. Sort like rehearsals in the open air...new thoughts...

One day the papers are going to stop covering the work so stop depending on the papers, forge relationships yourself. Dont had some one a postcard they need to feel something if they are going to come to the big damn shindig in the Fall...

2. Ten Suits

The idea - Father of a privately owned corporation dies and leaves the company to his 3 sons.

33% to the machievallian "conservative" son who will crush anything to keep the fortune alive and within the family

33% to the idealist son who thinks that sacrificing this fortune in the right way could possibly transform the world for better

34% to the son who just recently was render cripple and mute...what does he want? Is he still a person who a say? Or do the other 2 brothers simply have to convince the third's adoring and commited wife to surrender his share?

Every scene takes place in a corporate board/meeting room ... from there you can go anywhere and do anything ...dream sequence, drug trip, childhood flash back, etc...it stays within the board room but hell damn make that board room as phantasmagorical as possible

Also, I want this to be a team effort, multiple writers as a team writing in groups...like a tv series model and for there maybe we can make a theatrical serial performance? 30 minutes episodes? Don are you listening? Who in c-town is listening?

3. WNEP

If they will have me, I'm excited to work on ArmRadioHour and SKALD for next year. I think these guys have struck gold with SKALD and I want to participate in any way I can as much as I can. Many of them are my friends, and now that I got this "everything I do has to be a Mammal" thing off my back...I want to work with others in arenas that are a little foreign to me, I want to learn and share by another's rules as well as have my own little sand box to return to.


Now, my folks and others have said, "What if you go back and you hate it...chicago"...well then in 2008 I'll live in seattle or alaska or NYC or LA...but for now...I feel deep in my bones that regardless of any pain or discomfort or what have you I have to do theatre and no town will help me more that c-town. I know that is in conflict with early posts on this blog...but we are allowed to be in conflict. Maybe the grass is always greener...if so then the happiest person is always in motion...I'm in motion towards chicago.

1 comment:

RebeccaZ said...

Bob - I'm glad that you're coming back and that your brain has started churning with great ideas! Have a safe trip up!

Rebecca