Saturday, March 03, 2007

Playscript Daytime Fragment Number One a.k.a. Personal Apocalypse

Daytime Fragment Number One

(Two well dressed men seated at a desk. One of is wearing a BLUE SUIT. The other is wearing a BLACK SUIT. As the lights rise, they are looking at each other. BLUE goes for his coffee cup and raises it to his lips for a drink. As BLUE does this, BLACK replicates the same action with his own coffee cup. BLUE notices and stops drinking. BLACK knows that BLUE notices. BLACK sets his coffee cup down and opens a manila folder. He arranges the sheets inside and waits until BLUE sets down his coffee cup. After both coffee cups are no the desk. BLACK begins asking questions of BLUE.)

BLACK
(Serious)Is it true that you are having an apocalypse?

BLUE
(After a little laugh) Just Me?

BLACK
(Stays serious)Yes

BLUE
No one else?

BLACK
It doesn’t appear so

BLUE
So I’m having a personal apocalypse?

BLACK
Are you?

BLUE
Am I?

BLACK
This is what the Agency is wondering

BLUE
How would I know?

BLACK
I’m shrugging my shoulders. However, the Agency thought that it should be asked. I don’t know how I would or another would confirm said personal apocalypse, except possibly that the individual in question might somehow be able him or herself to glean the difference between a temporary yet undeniable string of misfortune and or rather a spiritual or divinely assigned or inspired descent or degradation or disintegration.

BLUE
Did you say that you are shrugging your shoulders?

BLACK
I am not experiencing a personal apocalypse. I know that.

BLUE
I am?

BLACK
I am not telling you, you are. I am asking you if you are having

BLUE
No

BLACK
A personal

BLUE
No

BLACK
Apocalypse

BLUE
Stop saying personal apocalypse

BLACK
Didn’t you introduce the phrase?

BLUE
Not quite

BLACK
Regardless, the phrase bothers you.

BLUE
Yes it bothers me

BLACK
It is offensive?

BLUE
Let’s go back. You originally asked me “Is it true”

BLACK
Yes

BLUE
Quote Is It True that I’m having
(BLUE makes a hand gesture rather than repeating)

BLACK
Yes

BLUE
Unquote

BLACK
OK

BLUE
It is the quote is it true unquote part of the original question that…

BLACK
Yes?

BLUE
I’m parsing my words here

BLACK
You are

BLUE
Yes

BLACK
There’s no need

BLUE
Maybe but

BLACK
But by all means

BLUE
It’s that part of the original question that concerns me

BLACK
Concerns…good

BLUE
Good?

BLACK
Yes. Good. Concerns? That’s good parsing.

BLUE
Now I’m shrugging my shoulders

BLACK
I’m sorry?

BLUE
Is it true dot dot dot insinuates…

BLACK
Insinuates?

BLUE
Or suggests

BLACK
Yes! Suggests?

BLUE
That someone has already assumed

BLACK
I’m taking notes

BLUE
You are?

BLACK
I think I should be taking notes

BLUE
Do you need me to slow down?

BLACK
You mean talk slower?

BLUE
Yes

BLACK
I’m not having trouble

BLUE
Fine. As I was saying, the same you phrased your original question suggests…

BLACK
Yes! Suggests

BLUE
Yes. Suggests to me that someone has already assumed

BLACK
Assumed?

BLUE
Yes! Assumed that or deemed that I’m experiencing what it is you said I’m experiencing

BLACK
A personal…

BLUE
Please

BLACK
That’s right you don’t want me to say

BLUE
Who said it in the first place?

BLACK
I’m shrugging my shoulders?

BLUE
Was it one of our previous clients?

BLACK
I couldn’t say?

BLUE
Somebody here in the agency then?

BLACK
Again…I couldn’t say?

BLUE
But someone thinks this...thing. This ridiculous thing, and asked you to ask me

BLACK
I am not the one asking you anything

BLUE
That is not true.

BLACK
Yes

BLUE
No

BLACK
I’m on your side

BLUE
Why are we taking sides?

BLACK
We aren’t. Yet. But if and or when we do?

BLUE
When we do?

BLACK
I’m your advocate

BLUE
I need a minute. Give me a minute. OK?

BLACK
OK

BLUE
If you’re not asking

BLACK
The agency

BLUE
The agency is asking?

BLACK
No one in particular. Just the entity that is the agency

BLUE
The entity?

BLACK
I’m shrugging my shoulders

BLUE
Again with your shoulders?

BLACK
Shrug

BLUE
Can we table this line of talk until later?

BLACK
If that’s what you want

BLUE
It is

BLACK
Ok. Then I’m putting my notes away.

BLUE
Thank you

BLACK
You’re welcome

BLUE
Do you have my next assignment?

BLACK
As of yet there is no next assignment

BLUE
No next assignment?

BLACK
No

BLUE
Is there anything in the pipeline?

BLACK
Yes there is

BLUE
What is it?

BLACK
There’s really no need now to discuss it?

BLUE
Why no need?

BLACK
(Pause) Because the agency has informed me it won’t be giving you another assignment until it can deem beyond a doubt that you are not having a dot dot dot

BLUE
A personal apocalypse?

BLACK
You said it.

No comments: