Friday, May 18, 2007

Life as of late

Arik Martin is a very old friend. We hadn't seen each other for approximately six months. Now that he lives in LA and I am back in Chicago, once every six months is about how often we'll get to see each other face to face.

It was a great thing, for both of us. I think we happen to do well at questioning each other, challenging each other to do better at striving for goals and dreams.

I am going to get into some better habits. I have been letting the little things in my life stop me from achieving the bigger wants.

Firstly, a read thru of the boxing play
Secondly, getting the Mammals website back up and running.
Thirdly, starting some other projects I have been wondering about.

Coming back to Chicago was the first step, but guess what?...that step is over. You just caught up on your back rent, you have an awesome job, better than any job you've had in quite awhile.

I dont habe time to waste. I have to write and produce and do the things I want to do. Push push push dont stop.

other stuff as of late...Dada...

Well, it has been a challenge. We have to reschedule the last French meeting.
The whole approach, the whole dada thing is a bit of a see saw. Somedays I'm up for it, and other days I'm down on it.F or me the thing I never get tired of is being in the room with people who want to make art.

SKALD - Great thing. But....ho ho ho there's a but?

I wanted to hear more people telling stories about themselves. For me the truth is always much more alluring in this sort of storytelling situation. I think using the SKALD to work on your stand up chops, or to challenge your improvisational skills...well I think it is unfortunate. I mean in this city, who is lacking when it comes to places and situations to brush up on your improv?

There was at least one story, actually told during the improv section that was true, the word given to imrpov off of just awoke something true in the teller and even I was drawn in. Studs Terkel-ish.

The only sort of SKALD improv I really would embrace is someone who does such a convincing job of fabricating a tale. Get me to believe something about them that is totally made up.

Maybe the workshops are the best thing for me to put my energy into. I want to see something different from mere performance...I want the experience of sharing...that is what I think is transcendent in this whole SKALD situation.

That being said, even the stuff that wasn't to my taste was strong good stuff. If you are reading this please note I support and think the SKALD is going to be a fantastic night of theater.

Still, as much as it achieves...I'm dreaming of something even higher.

No comments: