Wednesday, July 25, 2007

When writing or making art...

Thinking about this statement by Flannery O Conner I read on Marisa Wegrzyn's blog

* (on Nelson Algren) I have the impression page by page of a talent wasted by sentimentalism and a certain over-indulgence in the writing.


For the record, I love Algren but that aint what I'm thinking on, instead...

is it better/worse to push a little too far maybe?...
when writing, when creating, when rehearsing, when composing...
sort of like the notion that you can always pull back...
always thin it down...
like dressing for a cold cold day, you can always take off a layer?

What do you guys think? Any stories about going to far as a good or bad thing creatively...

Please share

2 comments:

Paul said...

Yeah, you nailed it, I think. Go full-out gonzo in your drafts, then let the editor out to cut to the meat of it all. Keeps you from writing too timid.

It's still my biggest problem with creativity: letting that voice go batshit in the first draft.

GreyZelda said...

A "going too far" story ... where to begin? =)

I think it can definitely be a good thing with the right touch. It can also be a "bad" thing when those who feel that you've gone too far give you their slap on your wrist because they're shocked by what you've done. It just depends on how brave you are and if others are going on for the ride ... if everyone's on board and the environment is built on trust then I say go as far a distance as you think is necessary for the piece.

We live in such a neutral, safe world these days and I think we need more people willing to go too far and cross that line. Shakes things up ever so much and I like the danger in art like that.

But, again on the other hand, you gotta have the taste, knowledge and instincts to know how to shave off what needs shaving.

RZ