Saturday, September 22, 2007

Writing Exercise - Foreign Country

I secretly harbor the hope of one day teaching or leading workshops for creative types. In the spirit. I am going to start journaling about (among my usual topics) writing, creativity, writerly habits, writing exercises, etc. Feel free to ignore or to attempt any writing exercises I post. it you do, please share or tell me how they are going, do you find them helpful, entertaining, or the exact opposite. Do you feel that a particular exercise has no merit, and why...Thanks DV

I am excited to see the new David Cronenberg film Eastern Promises. Over at bookslut, there was a post that links to books that Cronenberg used for research. Books with dark creepy titles that speak to mysteries of foreign soil.

I ask myself 'What if I were to wake up in foreign country?" Would I be able to provide for myself at all. I don't speak the language. I don't know if I have an sort of useful skills. I don't even know where I am on the map.

Writing Exercise - Imagine you wake up in a foreign country. Describe the domicle or shelther you woke up in. Describe how you got your first meal in this country. Describe the locale the setting. Describe the one person whom you can't speak with, but who seems confident that you belong in this country.

No comments: