Monday, October 22, 2007

Writing Again

I had a wonderful experience this weekend. I sat down and wrote the first nine scenes of a play.

I used to do this with greater frequency. Brevity to the scenes was always the key. I knew what each scene was about, but I purposefully put down as little information as possible as few words as possible while still giving the piece a sense of forward motion.

I remembered Maria Irene Fornes' script Mud, A script that I love by the way, and how spare the actually text is. The story unfolds in perhaps an hour or less but i think it is like only 20 pages long.

I also hear a quote from Orson Welles about making the audience use it's imagination.

So, what about it? Does anyone else out there ever just try a bare bones approach. Forget being fancy and just tell the forward progrgession of the story as simply and as quickly as possible?

I do remember this coming up at NTFD.

3 comments:

Tony said...

I think I have far more of a tendency to do that when I know I will be directing my own work.

May not be rational, but I sometimes feel the need to add far more descriptions, etc, if I know I'm going to send it out.

Devilvet said...

Just wrote another five scenes during my lunch break. Now mind you most of these scenes are 1 page long or shorter. Still, It is very liberating to take a story I want to tell or to investigate and abbreviate the writing process like this. Perhaps all I'm making is a skeleton on to which I will put muscles and other tissue later, but still I feel a bit envigorated

Paul Rekk said...

Oooh, oooh, pick me!

Much of my writing is extremely pared down, and I still find myself wondering if I've put too much in. Which is odd when countered with my triply indulgent blog/e-mail writing style.

Like Tony said, some of it has to deal with whether or not I'm directing, but I'm actually trying to break myself of that habit. It's even more exciting for me knowing that my words are the skeleton. I would hope my work would be conducive to an amazing spectrum of visions.