Friday, January 18, 2008

Mythology

Mythology

I always loved mythology. I remember in the third grade, I was looking for books on dinosaurs, specifically picture books. I was drawn to monsters the way many young boys are. How did I pick up that first book of mythology? I think there must have been some creature on its cover. Perseus fighting Medusa. Heracles versus the Hydra. I can't remember the name of the book or the cover image, but I remember flipping through the pages. Each major Greek god had a full page profile accompanied by and description of their domain of power, origin, major event or adventure in the course of their tenure.

There was also mystery too when i was young. There were these long ago beings called the titans. I know that the Grecian gods defeated them, but the whys and hows of it weren't elucidated. It was all very vague, and I could loss entire nights pitting hero against god against titan in my mind. I really began stretching my imagination then.

I found the d'aulerie books on Greek and Norse Mythology. There was a dictionary of world mythology too which I got real lost in.

So why all this talk about mythology? I guess I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to be writing about next, as in what is going to be the next big story.

So, I'm thinking about mythology. What are some of your favorite myths or mythic imagery?

2 comments:

downtown guy said...

When my mom was a kid, her folks bought her this crazy encyclopedia. It wasn't arranged alphabetically, but by subject. It's pure 1950s - lots of gung-ho American heroes and discussion of ideals and the steel industry and so on.

One whole section touched on various mythologies from around the world. I all but memorized the passages on the Greek and Roman gods (barely separated in this book) and the Norse gods. The Greeks and Romans were good for in-family fighting, smiting, raping, and reproduction, but it was the blood and thunder of Odin, Thor, and Loki that truly grabbed my imagination. The image of Loki-the-fly stinging Brokk hard enough that blood ran into his eyes is one I still think about from time to time.

white rabbit said...

The Robert Graves translation of the Greek Myths - with somewhat quirky commentary! Still in print.

Plus his novel form retelling of the Golden Fleece...