Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I don't know about you, but here is something I need as a Theater Artist in Chicago

...And it might already exist. I need a place on the web where I can see a directory of all the organizations in chicago that are currently renting rehearsal space to theatre/dance artists specifically.

I need to know their location, their rates per hour, all the contact information...

And then, wouldn't it be great if there was a place to review the venues similar to Amazon.com or Hotels.com...If the space was always clean and easily located next to an El stop...or if the space's contact never returns correspondence...or if the neighbors next door to the rehearsal space always stop by and chew out the renters for making to much noise...

That would be awesome. That would make my heart melt. Nick, Don, Tony, Dan....? Anybody out there thought of that already?

4 comments:

Tony said...

call Ben at the League, they have a list for performing space, and I think it includes rehearsal spaces too.

Don't know if includes churches that do rehearsal space as well, but it's a great starting point.

Anonymous said...

Great list, hasn't been updated in over a year...but it is the right idea

Nick Keenan said...

Just wrote a post on info resources like this. not ready to rate yet, unfortunately, just the facts. But the league wiki is open for business to build a knowledgebase like this.

In lieu of reviews, I think we should gather info like hard resources: Like list all the "equipment" that say, the Atheneum provides, in detail, and then write if it works. Write rental prices, and whether the bathrooms function. Write how the heat works or doesn't work. Those are indisputable facts, while off-the-cuff remarks like "The Atheneum is a waste of money and they yell at you for no reason," while true, is a bit more subjective. That'd be useful, right?

Devilvet said...

Yeah, I just read it. I like the idea. I understand the desire to not give a voice to indisputable facts...however, I wouldn't ming some sort of forum for people to compare experiences as consumers of service...One of the things that is sorely lacking in the right brain arts world is a uniform definition of accountability. However, I do understand that a wiki that is attached to the league wouldn't be the proper venue for that sort of commentary

But I think tony and a few others have spoke to this in the past...one of the things that enable us as producers is data not only on where to locate necessary service but the quality of that same service...that to be as specific as possible is more important to me than "They always stop by and yell"...thinks like "always half and hour late" or what have you could have a negative impact on how those rated feel about such a system...but then it might also motivate those involved, those who say..."Here is my service and it costs xxx amount of dollars" to higher degree of accountability.

If is not just about negative whistleblowing...it is also about finding a way to benefit those who have a higher degree of successful service