Thursday, March 06, 2008

Art is not a job, but lord it sure is work...

So, I am sure that most of the people who read me are also reading Don.

He does a fairly good summation I think about my thoughts regarding compensation for theater.

There is always a feeling of dread within me when we start talking about making money and the work we do.

When one says 'work' if has alot of different connotations among all of us in this conversation. When I say work, I mean...

1. exertion or effort directed to produce or accomplish something; labor; toil.

or

20. to attain a specified condition, as by repeated movement: The nails worked loose

but, i think when Scott and others say it, they are envisioning something closer to...

4. employment, as in some form of industry, esp. as a means of earning one's livelihood: to look for work.

When I am writing or directing or engaging in theater, I think that I am doing number 20. I am working lose the nails on a metaphorical wooden box. Inside the box contains

The perfected form of something I want to express.

The hope is that I can open a fair amount of these boxes while I am still drawing breath on this earth.

Getting paid to work the nails on the box would be wonderful. But, I find it hard to demand that I get paid for it. Why? Because who do I demand it of? The only entity that I can truly insist compensate me financially for my efforts is the audience of my efforts. And at the same time, I want the audience so badly that I'll gladly let them see inside the box for free.

For most of us this Art thing is an addiction and a hobby. If that is going to change then we have to start thinking about product, product, product.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Or audiences.

Or fundraising.

There's more than one way to skin this here cat. But something's gotta give.

Devilvet said...

I think the key to either of those (audience/fundraising) lies ultimately in product. Any money I'm given...I have to answer for...audience's are paying or even staying to catch my "process"