Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Time and Fear and Deadlines

I have been feeling the burden of time lately. Parents of friends passing... A letter from my Mother about one of her younger cousins succumbing to disease. I was a quintessential hypochondriac coming out of the womb. When they cut the umbilical cord, I turned to the doctor and grasped at the collar of his scrubs pleadingly "How much time have I got?"

Perhaps I don't have in it me right this second to philosophize about the big D. Instead something a little more apprehendable.

The necessity of a deadline? How many of us out there have to have one in order to get anything beyond the conceptual or developmental phase of existence?

What are the obstacles that get in your way? What are the things that you have to do when you'd rather be creating something you find meaningful? I'm not looking for rapturous talk about how time spent with friends and family while not always is productive is still essential...I get that. I'm talking about the tedium or the obligation or the day to day rat race...What do you see as an obstacle you face on a daily or almost daily basis that stops or handicaps the production of your art?

6 comments:

Travis Bedard said...

It’s funny. As is almost always true, the problem isn’t the outside obstacles. It’s me.

The more demands that are made on my time the more protective I get of my ‘me’ time spent doing nothing. Which ends up being between 2-4 in the morning during show+day job times. Which means the quality of all three phases erodes to nothing, and my time with my wife is mostly in dozing stupor.

Tony Adams said...

1. Space

2. Money

Not very original, I'm afraid.

Devilvet said...

I find that my addictions are culprit. I am addicted to television, and now addicted to the internet.

I find that the workday doesn't exhaust me as much as the commute home.

Don Hall said...

I have a problem saying "no" when asked to do things outside of my immediate activities. Gets me in trouble every single time.

Jamespeak said...

Wow, I was just thinking about this today. Yeah, I need deadlines, even if they're self-imposed, otherwise I push things off indefinitely.

What gets in my way? Honestly? Laziness and cowardice. I'd like to say "time," but really, that would be bringing self-deception to an all-new level: I usually have tons of time to work on a project.

Jamespeak said...

Wow, I was just thinking about this today. Yeah, I need deadlines, even if they're just self-imposed, otherwise I would never get anything done.

What are my biggest obstacles? Honestly? Laziness and cowardice. I'd like to say "time," but that would be bringing self-deception to an all new level. In reality, I have tons of time to work on any given project.