Friday, March 13, 2009

Rough Cut Fairy Tale (Scene Eight)

Scene Eight
(Birdy Talks to a doll. Turtle spies)

I'll admit I've made some mistakes, but that is not going to be the reason why I stop living. I have seen the results of fear and I do not want to live my life that way.

Every mistake is another anecdote to my life. When they read back the book that was written about who I was and what I did, I don't want it to read..Birdy was a good girl who never got into any trouble and as a result never had an exciting day in her life. Among Birdy's great skill set were washing dishes, cleaning windows, monitoring the behavior of small children, and making babies stop crying.

I want them to say that she was a wild one unlike any other that has come this way. I want them to say she took every opportunity to drink deep from the cup of life. That when offered a chance at adventure, Birdy always said yes!

I love my sister, but I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to live like this. Her fears didn't bother me quite so much when I was a child. Back then I wasn't aware of all the thing life had to offer that she was constantly turning away on behalf of us both. When I think about the kind of wild child I might have been without her acting as a constant joy kill, a perpetual barrier to me from myself... Well i could have been a pirate or a scientist anything other than a homemaker and nest builder.

Sometimes, I hate Turtle. I hate what she has become, and what she would has become of me!

(A quiet prayer to her sister who, she thinks is not listening)

Don't make me hate you Turtle! Don't make me hate you!

No comments: