Tuesday, May 26, 2009

PUT MY FINGER IN YOUR MOUTH
Scene Eight

Scene Eight
 
(It is just before dawn. TURTLE wanders back into the home. She is in shock. She goes into her space and zips up the canva. BIRDY hears the zipper and wakes up.)
 
BIRDY
Where did you go? I was going to follow but it was too bright. By the time night fell, I passed out.
 
(TURTLE is frozen in shock. She is mid way through brushing her teeth. BIRDY sees TURTLE is upset and helps her sister by getting her a cup of water to spit out the paste. BIRDY is nursing TURTLE a little bit.)
 
BIRDY
It is usually you taking care of me.
 
TURTLE
Last night, I...
 
BIRDY
Bad dream?
 
TURTLE
That too...but not that... that's not why I'm... I'm
 
BIRDY
You're shaking
 
TURTLE
I saw a man. I thought he was one of your men.

BIRDY
Like I have a harem of men?
 
TURTLE
Snail man, Box man...
BIRDY
The Box man is not 'my' man. He is just a man. Alright?!
 
(BIRDY calms herself down)
 
Go ahead...
 
TURTLE
The man was wearing an overcoat. I thought he might be some sort of serial rapist, child molester, or an exhibitionist at the very least
 
BIRDY
Did he flash you?
TURTLE
No
 
BIRDY
Too bad. You could use a good flashing
 
TURTLE
He must have caught me looking at him, because he quite suddenly took a detour from what had to have been his route and started to follow me.
 
BIRDY
What did you do?
TURTLE
Well, at first I tried to ignore him. I told myself that it was all in my head, but then without being able to control myself I picked up my pace and then I could hear him picking up his pace behind me.
 
BIRDY
Where was this? Were you in a public area? Was it just the two of you?

TURTLE
Well, I was trying not to hyperventilate. I knew the street was full of other people, and I hoped that someone would have the decency to stop this man if he tried to do anything uninvited and lurid. I saw that there was a crosswalk ahead and that the light was turning yellow. So, I tried with all my might to speed up in the hopes that I could use the red light and oncoming traffic to separate myself from this predator, but I couldn't get there in time. The onslaught of cars glued me to the curb. Then like he was beside me trying to pretend that he was oblivious to me, to my desire to be undisturbed, unmolested. He slowly reached for the button of his overcoat. His breathing became pronounced. He twisted evilly at the button unaware of his force til it popped off his chest like a cola cap. I could hear a slow fizzing soda pop sound. Something was shaking inside him fighting to push through his bottle top. His fingers toyed with the flaps of his jacket. I tried to scream but I couldn't. My throat wouldn't work. I clenched my fists preparing to beat off his advance. I closed my eyes. And then... nothing. I slowly opened my eyes and turned. His coat was wide open but all I could see was rows of pirated DVD hanging from the inside of his overcoat.
BIRDY
He was trying to sell you a movie

TURTLE
He was filthy. I got off lucky. He could have tried to force his carnality on me.
BIRDY
What world do you live in?

TURTLE
This world! Understand that? I live in this world! You're the one pumping her body full of chemicals to escape to another place!
 
BIRDY
You know every time I soften up and I think maybe maybe you're alright... You have some stupid sheltered prudish moment like this... you get all weak... and you start in with the judging and the accusations.. you know I was worried to death about you
 
TURTLE
Now you know how I feel
 
BIRDY
Wait! Stop!
 
TURTLE
I could have been killed!
 
BIRDY
Really? Was he going to slit your wrists with a dirty DVD?
 
TURTLE
You don't know! You don't know... you were worried?! Ha!
 
BIRDY
If it is so dangerous and you're so worried, then why did you run out there?
 
TURTLE
I thought there was enough daylight. But it doesn't matter. These men button their coats at you in the full light of day!
 
BIRDY
All the happened is you bumped into some petty crook trying to sell you a pirated film. But, you've blown it all up in your head. He was the Jack the Ripper or Hannibal the Cannibal and to top it off some how it's my fault that you bumped into him.
 
TURTLE
Dont tell me what is real an what is not real! I'm not the one doped up on hallucinogens
 
BIRDY
Is it any wonder that I would want to hallucinate some life other than this?
 
(TURTLE grabs the amulet and starts whispering into it)
 
BIRDY
Don't do that. Don't. She's not in there. She can't save us.
 
(TURTLE zips herself back up)
 
TURTLE
You don't know! You don't know!
 
BIRDY
What are you doing?
 
TURTLE
What do you think?
 
BIRDY
If I had to guess I'd say you were rededicating to clean living?
 
TURTLE
She was right! She has always been right! I stepped outside. I walked next to edge of the precipice. Trouble! Trouble!
 
(BIRDY has had enough. She walks away.)

No comments: