Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rough Cut Fairy Tale 2nd Pass Scene Four

TURTLE and BIRDY at the breakfast nook aka MAMA'S SPACE. Very tiny nook, so tiny that they both have to eat off the same plate. BIRDY holds the plate. TURTLE has the skillet and is using the spatula to get the bacon still sizzling off the pan and onto the plate. It is a very delibrate process, a ritual almost.

BIRDY
Bacon

TURTLE
I perfer the old standby

BIRDY
If I never eat another egg white omelet, it will be too soon.

TURTLE
I can't seem to get it

(TURTLE is speaking of the last piece of bacon in the pan.)

BIRDY
Hurry up

(TURTLE finally gets it but spills a little bacon fat on BIRDY. It burns)

TURTLE
Sorrysorrysorrysorry

BIRDY
You did that on purpose!

TURTLE
No!

BIRDY
You never burned me before! Not even once!

TURTLE
It was an accident. Egg whites dont give off this kind of grease! I'm not used to it!

BIRDY
Fucking Bullshit!

TURTLE
Please relax alright!

(BIRDY looks at the burn. It stings but doesnt seem to be too serious. She gestures a whatever. TURTLE touches BIRDY'S head in an attempt to console/apologize. BIRDY shakes her off.)

BIRDY
Just sit. I'm fine.

(TURTLE puts the pot and spatula away. She returns with two forks in her right hand, one for her and one for BIRDY. She sits, lifts the Turtle Shell necklace with her other hand and gives it a kiss. She then offers the shell to BIRDY to kiss. BIRDY resists)

TURTLE
Do it

BIRDY
Not now

TURTLE
But I need you to. You know I can't relax if you don't blow the shell a kiss

BIRDY
I said not now!

TURTLE
Come on girl! Give me some 'action'!

BIRDY
Do not mock the tat. Serious shit will befall your ass, you mock this tat!

TURTLE
(pause) Is it really too much too ask? (TURTLE pouts. She has still not given BIRDY a fork to eat with)

BIRDY
Give me that shell! Kiss Kiss Kiss Frenchy Kiss! OK? I kissed it. I'm making a big show of kissing mama's shell!

TURTLE
Be careful! Don't break it!

BIRDY
I'm not going to break it

TURTLE
I'll never recover if you break it.

BIRDY
I didnt break it. Can we eat now?

TURTLE
You may not want to admit it, but it relaxs you too!

BIRDY
No

TURTLE
Yes! Yes! It does!

BIRDY
No it doesn't

TURTLE
Yes! It! Does! Becuase Mama says it does!

BIRDY
'Said' it does.

(BIRDY snatches the fork from TURTLE. They begin eating)

TURTLE
That's why she made us promise.

BIRDY
So we'd relax?

TURTLE
So we'd rededicate ourselves before every meal to clean living. Kiss our way to clean living. That rededication is what is so comforting so relaxing

BIRDY
Maybe I don't want to relax into clean living

TURTLE
Maybe!? It is not up to you?

BIRDY
No?

TURTLE
Not while you take your breakfast at this table. This is Mama's table.

(pause)

BIRDY
Can you tell me something nice about her. Anything nice at all?

TURTLE
What does that mean?

BIRDY
Every morning, every story, it is kiss the shell! It's a story about how she worried to death. How she attempts to control us from beyond the grave.

TURTLE
It is for our own good

BIRDY
Well, I'm at odds with it. All this bullshit is getting in the way of my dreams

TURTLE
Your dreams are not worthy of you.

BIRDY
Fuck you!

TURTLE
Mother knew that

BIRDY
See, this is exactly what I mean. Always this kind of talk when we jaw about her. A scowl and pointing finger from beyond the grave. Did she ever do anything other than scold and warn?

TURTLE
She loved us

BIRDY
Well then I want to hear about something loving

TURTLE
She used to sing to us.

BIRDY
(pause)OK, that's nice. What did she sing?

TURTLE
"Slow and Steady wins the race"

BIRDY
Of course she did

TURTLE
Close your eyes and I'll sing it to you. I love that song!

BIRDY
No! (BIRDY tosses her fork down on the plate angry)

TURTLE
What I want to know is...where's the gratitude?

BIRDY
Gratitude for what? For constantly bitching at me and running me down? For reminding me every single day that so far as you're concerned... I just dont measure up to some dead woman's expectations? A dead woman who might as well be a stranger as my mother!

TURTLE
I've never heard you say thank you. Never once!

BIRDY
Fine! Thank you!

TURTLE
Do you mean it?

BIRDY
Yes!

TURTLE
Then can't you say it like you mean it?

BIRDY
UGHHHH!

TURTLE
Say it slow and soft. Say it like a dandelion would!

BIRDY
TTTTTTHHHHHHHHAAAAANNNNNNNNNKKKKKK

TURTLE
Forget it

BIRDY
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

TURTLE
Just once like you meant it. That is all I ask.

BIRDY
Not true. You want that, plus the kissing the shell, the rededication every breakfast to clean living. It never stops. If it were up to you I'd be saying thank you again and again and again.

TURTLE
We have want we have because of me. OK? Becuase of mother's sacrifice. And my sustaining this nest, this home!

BIRDY
Well you should to thankful too?

TURTLE
To you? For what?

BIRDY
I'm the only thing exciting in your life.

TURTLE
That is bullshit

BIRDY
So, I'd like a little appreciation for all this high quality vicarious living I'm providing you.

TURTLE
You can keep it

BIRDY
Life! It's called a life!

TURTLE
I'm living Birdy alright? I'm living just fine!

BIRDY
Too much fear! Too much cowering!

TURTLE
Clean living, Birdy. It aint nothing but the joy of clean living.

BIRDY
Dead on arrival is more like it. No partying. No nothing?

TURTLE
The key to a better life. It aint easy, but it is what mama wanted. Her gift to us before she went. And now my gift to you, even though you don't deserve it!

BIRDY
It used to feel like a gift, but not anymore. Now, you're just bringing me down.

TURTLE
I dont mean too. I'm sorry. Listen, lets just have a nice breakfast. Nice and easy. No more demands except that we chew our food.

BIRDY
Little late for that this morning. I'm done.

TURTLE
Do go away angry

BIRDY
Kiss me byebye for today. I'll be back whenever.

No comments: