Wednesday, June 10, 2009

FINGER Act 2 Scene 2

Scene Two

(Moments before dawn. BIRDY staggers in. She walks to TURTLE'S SPACE which is zippered up. There is a note taped to the canvas. BIRDY reads it out loud.)

BIRDY
Do not disturb. No more breakfast on demand. I'm done being the maid.

(BIRDY crumples up the note. She peaks into the hole. TURTLE seems asleep. BIRDY goes over to her space and cries a little. TURTLE peaks her head out one of the holes. She wants to go to BIRDY but doesn't. BIRDY picks up the stuffed animal she talked to in Act One and confides)

BIRDY
And then he said 'You are well liked here'. And then I said 'But you wouldn't let me in the other night', and then he said 'We are so sorry Birdie. Wont you led the gang in the next dance'

It felt so...right. And then Snail magically appeared and we danced together and it was... perfect.

I don't know

I...I...I don't know if I can go back or not.

It got bad. It got really bad.

No, he didn't hurt me.

No, I fine...I just (crying)

No, I don't want to.

Because she'll just yell at me. She doesn't understand.

(The amulet cellphone quietly peeks out.)

I wish you were right. I wish you were.

No...no...she won't. She is ashamed of me. She won't even try to see it my way.

I'll admit I've made some mistakes, but that is not going stop me. It is not going to make me hide.When they read back the book that was written about who I was and what I did, I don't want it to read...Birdy was a good girl who never got into any trouble and as a result never had an exciting day in her life. Among Birdy's skill set were washing dishes, cleaning windows, and she was the most reliable babysitter. Fuck that. Fuck that! (catches herself)I want them to say here was wild child unlike any other that has come this way before. That when offered a chance at adventure, Birdy always said yes!

No. I can't.

Because I can't. I need her. I mean I'm not an idiot. Look at me. I'm a mess. I know that. But I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to live like this.

Not any more.

Why? Because...Back then I was just a kid. I had to do what she told me to. When I think about the kind of life I might be living without her acting as a roadblock to me from myself...

(BIRDY points in TURTLE'S direction.)
Sometimes, I hate Turtle. I hate what she has become, and what she would has become of me!(A quiet prayer to her sister who, she thinks is not listening)Don't make me hate you Turtle! Don't make me hate you!

(BIRDY feels the bag that BOXMAN put inside her shirt. She takes it out and opens it. It is a big salt shaker/grinder and a knife.)

No comments: