Wednesday, June 17, 2009

FINGER Act 2 Scene 6

(Darkness)

TURTLE
What happened? I can't move.

(She struggles and can only move her neck alittle bit.)

Am I dead? Am I in heaven with Mamma

(BOXMAN scats quietly gently, and then...)

BOXMAN
The doctor says not yet angel. Not yet.

TURTLE
Who is that?!! I cant see!

BOXMAN
That is because you refuse to open your eyes.

TURTLE
Help me.

BOXMAN
I'm trying Turtle Girl.

(BOXMAN blows gently on her lids. They open. TURTLE starts hyperventilating)

BOXMAN
You seem excited to see me.

TURTLE
I can't move

BOXMAN
I know. That's why I'm here.

TURTLE
Who are you?

BOXMAN
I am all you got. Baby, I am the only thing keeping the snails at bay. I'm the one who knows everything about you and your sister and your mama and how you misfortunate females got into the predicament you are in.

(TURTLE Spits at him. He giggles.)

BOXMAN
Ohhh she got some spit left in her boys. Enough moisture to make a fine meal for those mollusks slip sliding at the front and back door.

TURTLE
I hate you!
BOXMAN
Baby you dont even know me

TURTLE
The riddle you tell must mean one thing. You are our father!
BOXMAN
Nope nope nope

TURTLE
You stood up a good woman and left her in a dangerous world to care for two kids all by herself, and she died man! She died trying! And it is your fault for abandoning us.

BOXMAN
I suppose I can understand your desire to pin me to such a stereotypical assignation, but honey I'm here to tell ya...every old man you meet aint your Dad.

TURTLE
Then how do you know about us?

BOXMAN
Well, I did know your Mother, but mostly I got my information straight from your sister. Birdy talks in her sleep.

Besides how could I be your father when my feelings for you aren't paternal.

(He starts posing her body like a mannequin, and taking pictures.)
TURTLE
No...no...help! help!

BOXMAN
All I want is a little chance to enhance my fantasy file.

TURTLE
Oh no! What's happening?!? Help!
BOXMAN
(Stops) I know you'll never love an old dog like me, but cant I at least look at you? You might be paralyzed, but you are still the quintessence of fetching femininity.

TURTLE
Oh...oh please...just kill me...just let me die.

BOXMAN
I know hyperbole when I hear it girl, and trust me you aint ready to die.
TURTLE
Yes! Yes am I! I've lost everything.

BOXMAN
Baby this aint rock bottom. Trust me. Look at these eyes. They know from rock bottom. Is aint even half way there. For example, let me display exhibit A.

(BOXMAN goes over to the window and pulls the blinds. TURTLE can barely bend her neck and sees various of the SNAILMAN'S GANG wandering around outside they are slow moving and lost in a fog they are carrying various cutlery and trying to find to TURTLE)

These guys can show you Rock Bottom. And if you truly wish to die. I can open the door and they'll oblige you.
TURTLE
Oh no! No! no no

BOXMAN
That's what I thought darling

TURTLE
What do you want?

BOXMAN
Just a couple of pictures for the sake of scientific inquiry, and I'll stem the tide. It is the only payment I request for your protection

TURTLE
You're Birdy's Boxman aren't you?

BOXMAN
Guilty as charged

TURTLE
Protection from who

BOXMAN
Your sisters new attendants

TURTLE
What difference does it make she is gone and she's killed me

BOXMAN
But you're stilling breathing right? You still have your breath?

TURTLE
She took away Mama

(He holds the shards of cellphone)

BOXMAN
How much do you remember about your mother? She wasn't a fan of polishing the stairwell. She was the kind of gal who stroked the bull

TURTLE
You shut up about my mother!

BOXMAN
I could tell you some stories about your mother.

TURTLE
Mama was a saint. She was an angel. She sacrificed everything for the two of us. She died trying to make a better, cleaner life for me and Birdy.

BOXMAN
That is true. But was really the shining example you remember she to be. What kind of living did she do? Why are you so set as to fulfill a life, your own moher couldn't led. So certain that you have driven away your only family.

TURTLE
Shut up! Shut up!

BOXMAN
I will not! I made a promise to mama a long time ago. I told her I'd check up on you two. I didn't really need to until as of late. I probably wasnt in any condition most of the time to do any good for you anyway.

TURTLE
Mama would never have a thing to do with you.

BOXMAN
Is this what you think Mama wanted? (points to TURTLE'S clothes) Donna Reed Dress and Pearl Necklace? Dinner at 6, Ed Sullivan at 7, fast asleep beneath carefully folded sheets by 9? You have forgotten your Mama. Who she really was. You have forgotten yourself. I am going to show you. Now, I am getting a little kick out of this, but just relax I promise to stop short of second base.

(He takes off the dress, underneath it TURTLE is dressed all punk)

That dress never fit you anyway.

TURTLE
It was Mama's

BOXMAN
The irony is it never fit her neither. You, Birdy, and your mama... you are all birds of a feather. It is no wonder you dont recall. The sky fell on top of her. And your little eyes saw the whole thing. She used to pose for me.

(He hold a photo up for TURTLE to see)

See, no Donna Reed dress. She was wild. Like Birdy. Like you too used to be, before you bottled it all up and stuffed it into a turtle's shell. See you three have a little bit of blood in ya from one of the birds of prey. A little wild streak of blood. It makes you fly. It makes you dance. If your mother had lived, I think she'd realize you can't cage a that kind of bird. Not for long. It goes crazy insane. Like you did. Like Birdy might have too.

(We hear the sound of the SNAIL gang. They break down the door. BOXMAN and BOY BITCH square off. We'll have a little snappy dialogue here between them. I'll work on it later. BOXMAN fights them all, killing them.)

BOXMAN
That's it. It's done. At least my part.

TURTLE
Don't go! Please! Don't leave me. I have no one.

BOXMAN
I've done what I can. I stopped the falling of sky as much as I am able. The rest is up to you two. I don't know if birdy will come back, but if she does. You got to let her be whom ever the bird of prey wants her to be.

(BOXMAN steps outside. We see his shadow. He rips off a huge piece of the box, eats it and transforms into a comet that shoots off into space.)

No comments: