Wednesday, June 10, 2009

FINGER Act II Scene 1

ACT TWO

SCENE ONE

(In the darkness we hear BOXMAN laughing then he breaks out into 'SUDDENLY' lights then rise. BIRDY is still passed out but she has been propped up on a garbage can. Beneath her on bended knee is BOXMAN humming the song. He takes one of her shoes off. He sees her Tattoo.)

BOXMANLike Mother like Daughter

(He begins massaging BIRDY'S foot.)

You are a dreamer aren't you? Wishing wishing wishing that they'd name constellations after stations of adventure and suspense you'd populate your autobiography with.

(He then wiggles her toes one at a time. She is slow to return to consciousness. She pushes at him lazily to back off.)

BIRDYNo...no...come on man...don't be that guy.

BOXMANI'm looking at five tasty reasons why I want to be that guy.

(BIRDY is groggy. Barely able to stay awake. BOXMAN tears off a piece of his box and offers it to her.)

BOXMAN
Relax Birdy Girl. Here. Have a trippy biscuit.

(BIRDY takes it.)

BOXMAN
What the heck are you doing on the stoop? Did beauty get the boot again?

BIRDY
They think I'm responsible for the riot last.

BOXMAN
Was it a riot?! Full scale fisticuffs? Did my machinations give devastation to that snail snot factory?

BIRDY
What?

BOXMAN
I'm the guy. The puppeteer. The engineer. I'm the candyman who could break a pane of glass and sneak all that foxy fine randy man furrie action into the slowman's domain. I knew it'd go against the grain but I had no idea It'd break out into a full on donnybrook.

BIRDY
People got hurt! Maybe even killed...

(BIRDY wants to get up and confront BOXMAN but she doesn't have the power.)

BOXMAN
Shit happens Bird girl. You keep walking on the not so sunny side of street and that is a lesson you better learn and quick. Duck and Bob. Bob and Weave. Weave and Duck. Hookie Pookie out of the path of the screaming bullets.

BIRDY
He thinks I'm responsible

BOXMAN
I wasn't trying to trip up your rep. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to shit in the snailman's cherrios.

BIRDY
Well, you might of really fucked my shit up

BOXMAN
Birdgirl, I'd hoped you'd have learned by now you got options when it comes to getting your kicks. You oughta care a whole lot less about what that snail thinks of you anyway.

(It is difficult but she gets up to go)

BIRDY
Alright! Alright!

BOXMAN
A snail aint nothing but a rat in slow motion

BIRDY
A rat wont get you high.

BOXMAN
You know that for a fact?

BIRDY
Yeah, I'm pretty sure

BOXMAN
You ever smoked a rat?

BIRDY
Hey grandpa, just cause you smell like crap doesn't mean you got to speak it

BOXMAN
Aint you a pip? Aint you a sty in the eye?

BIRDY
You know, I dont need this. I get all you can eat of this kind of shit at home.

BOXMAN
Too much of Turtle's cooking?

BIRDY
How do you know about her?

BOXMAN
(blows off the question. As BOXMAN delivers his monologue, BIRDY starts falling back to sleep slowly. )
Have you ever observed that there is a difference between a turtle's shell and a snail's? A turtle's shell can feel confining.

BIRDY
How do you know about Turtle?

BOXMAN
But there are a least a couple ways to crawl out if you had to. Not so with a snail's shell. No doubt it is much prettier. No doubt at all. But once you take your first turn in, there is no where to go but deeper down, another turn and another, and that sexy strip, that tunnel gets narrower and narrower. The portal shrinks and so to does your will to ever climb out. That aint get high bird girl. That's falling low. You'll glaze over. You'll swim in the slime. The KY turns to crisco. The goodtimes get clogged out. Your will to set out and be your own bird will just evaporate. And that is when you'll be at the mercy of that mollusk. I seen it. And believe me, you are just the prettiest little thing I ever seen. You make me want to save up for those hair plugs, but after a month of dunking into that smile and slipping further down the snail curve, the apple of this cheek will lose its shine. And then someone is going to take advantage...I mean really take advantage...

(She is almost out again)

BOXMAN
You talk alot in your sleep

BIRDY
I do, do I?

BOXMAN
But can you listen in your sleep?

BIRDY
(almost passed out)
I dunno. Let's try

(BIRDY is out snorring)

BOXMAN
You're going to do what you're going to do. But if you change your mind half way down the trap, maybe you can use these to help.

(He has a bag for her. She doesn't have a bag or pocket for him to put it in, so he unbuttons her shirt and drops it inside her blouse. Giggling a little bit while he does).

No comments: