Friday, June 12, 2009

PUT MY FINGER IN YOUR MOUTH
Act 2 Scene 3

Act 2 Scene 3

BIRDY is standing outside the SNAILMAN'S club. It is dusk. She's see a cardboard box and thinks it is the BOXMAN. She takes the knife out and starts yelling at the box.

BIRDY
Hey! Hey! What is this huh? What the hell am I supposed to do with this? Do you hear me!?...Hey I'm talking to you!

BIRDY kicks the box. It falls over empty. She jumps back a little shocked. She doesn't know what to do. She goes through the box trying to see if she can find anything of the BOXMAN'S. She finds a couple of dirty sketches. Nothing else. The door to the club falls open, slightly ajar. We hear a little music from inside.

BIRDY goes to the door. She is unsure.

BIRDY
Do it. Do it.

(She looks at her tattoo)

Action

(She enters the club. Once inside she can see that there is no party yet.The various members of the Snailman's gang are still cleaning up from the riot last night. Various Furrie heads are either hanging on pikes or mounted on the wall as trophy. There are still small hints of the violence from last night, specks of blood split here and there, but they are trying wash it away and get the place back into shape for a new night of partying tonight. Once BIRDY is inside, the various members of the gang stop what they are doing one by one and stare coldly at BIRDY until everyone is silently starring at her. No movement just staring. BIRDY starts backing out for the door, but before she can get out BOY BITCH suddenly appears and closes the door. )

BOY BITCH
(To gang)
What are you guys looking at?! This club's not going to clean itself (snaps fingers) The house opens in a hour. Lets pick up the pace. This place better get spic and span fast!(They turn away from BIRDY and return to their work)

BOY BITCH
Birdy! What are you doing here?

BIRDY
The door was open...I'm sorry...I'll just

BOY BITCH
Stop stop stop... I just mean it is early. We haven't had a chance to you know...put our face on.

BIRDY
I wondered. I mean since I didn't see anybody

BOY BITCH
Oh they'll be here, Birdy. Trust me. Just cause you don't see them now, doesn't mean they aren't coming. This place and every body in it is going to be coming in a couple hours (pause)
It's OK. You don't have to giggle at my little joke.

BIRDY
I'm sorry.

BOY BITCH
Jesus Birdy! Reeeeelax, alright? Didn't I tell you that you were well liked?

BIRDY
I know

(There is some sort of signal...maybe a music cue, maybe a gong, something)

BOY BITCH
In fact, I know a certain special someone who wants to have a bit of private time with a another certain special little someone else.

BIRDY
Snail?

BOY BITCH
(winks at her)
Shhhhhh!

(BOY BITCH leads her past some velvet ropes into the SNAILMAN'S private booth aka SNAIL'S SPACE.

SNAIL
Before anything else, I want an opportunity to apologize for my accusation last night. I think you should know that I almost never ever behave like that. It was an extenuating circumstance.

BIRDY
Who were those guys

SNAIL
It doesn't matter.

BIRDY
Come on! That was like a full scale war last night. I want to know.

(SNAIL gives her a short tense look, and then composes himself)

SNAIL
Just a ghost from the past that we never need worry ourselves over again.

BIRDY
It scared the crap out of me

SNAIL
Can we drop it!?!!! (beat) I'm sorry. Do you see? You see how even thinking about that Furrie infuriates? I'd like to change the subject. Immediately if not sooner.

BIRDY
Well, you bought it up

SNAIL
I know, and now I'm putting it back down. Understand. Lets put it down.

(BIRDY looks around. She sees the BOUNCER who notices that something is amiss between her and the SNAILMAN. BOUNCER shows BIRDY the bag he used to throw over the head of the girl he bounced out in the first scene. BIRDY looks back at SNAIL. She is going to say something. He puts up his finger to gently shush her. When she sees the finger she can't help but focus on it. Her body on a cellular level wants it.)

BIRDY
I want another fingerful of that stuff you got.

SNAIL
You and everybody else

BIRDY
Hey... I thought I was well liked here?

SNAIL
You are well liked, but are we sre whether or not I'm out of your league?

BIRDY
Stow the conceded crap fella.

SNAIL
How can we determine whether of not you qualify?

BIRDY
Qualify for what, a finger full of snail cocktail?

SNAIL
Birdy, I am looking for my soulmate. I'm looking for someone to share all this with?

BIRDY
What are you saying?

SNAIL
I wont know if this thing I'm feeling is something more until I.... kiss you. Kiss me Birdy, I want to see. I want to know if this thing I feel between you and me is real.

(She hesitated then kisses him. Once the kiss is over, he gives her his finger. She puts it in her mouth.)

BIRDY
I want it. I want it all. Give it to me.

SNAIL
I want to know where you're at every minute of every day. When I'm not with you, I get jealous thinking about who you might be with. You're so different from all the other girls.

BIRDY
What a minute....How many other girls?

SNAIL
I've been seeking someone special for quite some time. It's not like you can call out for true love.

BIRDY
Love?

SNAIL
Birdy I think it might be you. You might be the one for me. I want you here where I can give you the finger anytime I want.

(BIRDY giggles still nursing the finger)

BIRDY
Awkward. I can't believe I was scared.

SNAIL
Scared?

BIRDY
Scared to come here. Scared to seek you out... to be here with you.

(BIRDY sucks the finger dry. She goes for another kiss and then to another finger on his other hand.)

BIRDY
I've been so confused. I've cried myself to sleep wondering if you even noticed me. Really noticed me.

SNAIL
I noticed you. I noticed you that first night. You were so vibrant, so different, so pert...so special. You are very special to me. Perhaps it is too soon for me to say that, but I can't help myself.

BIRD
I need a change. I need something new. I think I might need you too.

SNAIL
Are you ready for everything that it would entail?

BIRDY
Like what?

SNAIL
Are you prepared to leave everyone else behind?

BIRDY
I'll go back and collect my things.

SNAIL
But, it isnt as easy as that

BIRDY
What? I'll just get my things and slip my key bac under the door.

SNAIL
You are sisters, are you not?

BIRDY
Yes.

SNAIL
There is always something permanent, something binding about sisters. Isn't there something that binds you two together. Something magically perhaps?

BIRDY
I don't understand?

SNAIL
An amulet? You have to figure out what it is and destroy it. So long as she has this thing this amulet, she will have power over you. She'll use it to hold on to you and never let go. If we are going to be together for ever then we both have to be able to sever the ties to the world and people we knew before.

BIRDY
Isn't that a little Jimmy Jonesy?

SNAIL
Leave.

BIRDY
What? Why?

SNAIL
Consider my offer. consider what I've said. Find the amulet, the small thing that holds her to you and destroy it. Until then, we can never be together.

(Like a hurricane wind, something sweeps BIRDY up and despoits her back outside the club door. The door is still a jar. She inches towards it. It slams shut. SNAIL'S voice echos in the blackout)

SNAIL
Consider....consider...consider my offer.

No comments: