Tuesday, June 09, 2009

PUT MY FINGER IN YOUR MOUTH
Opening of Act 2 - Dream Intermezzo

Dream Intermezzo/Intermission

(This dream is a very tiny dream, so tiny as to need a magnifying glass to see. There is a BIRD riding on the back of a TURTLE. Are they made of cardboard? Are they origami? They are "artificial" in some manner. BIRDY and TURTLE should be in attendance barely a part of the dreamscene though. As if they were maneuvering the tiny little shapes with long thin extensions of wire rod. Somewhere out of sight we can hear the voice of the BOXMAN quietly, gently scatting Rockaby Lullaby)

BIRD
How is it that we became sisters?

TURTLE
We never became sisters. We always were.

BIRD
Well, I wasn't meant for the earth. And you are clearly not meant for the sky. It is a puzzle to me.

TURTLE
You don't remember they way I used to be. It seems so long ago. Sometimes I don't remember either. Inside this shell I am a turtle, but once I used to be a beautiful irreverent bird just like you.

BIRD
Just like me?

TURTLE
I was a little meaner, tougher, little more punk

BIRD
I'll bet you would have made a great bird.

TURTLE
I was selfish though. Looking back I realize there was so much, so much that was my fault.

BIRD
Let me lift you up?

TURTLE
What do mean?

BIRDY
I was thinking I'll grab onto your shell with my claws and then flap my wings and light us up into the blue!

TURTLE
That sounds

BIRDY
Exciting I know right?

TURTLE
I was going to say dangerous

BIRDY
The view from up there is absolutely breathtaking

TURTLE
If I lose my breath, what guarantee do I have i'll ever get it back?

BIRDY
Come on Come on Come out of your shell

TURTLE
I'm too heavy. I can't. I can't

BIRDY
Fine, I'll be back then

(BIRDY tries to fly but a little chain has been attached to her claw, binding her to TURTLE)

BIRD
That isnt very nice sis!

TURTLE
You'll thank me later

BIRD
Later?!! Later when?

TURTLE
After a long happy existence. After having kept your breath after all those years

BIRD
I want to fly

TURTLE
I want to survive

BIRD
Let me out!

TURTLE
No! Come back in!

BIRD
No you come out!

TURTLE
Bird, stay! Stay inside. Play is ok, but stay safe!

(A Big Bad Wolf in Snail "disguise" moves close as they argue. He silently lifts the magnifying glasses that have been used to look at this tiny dream. He opens his jaws wide. Blackout)

No comments: