Monday, February 08, 2010

The Quickening Race to settle the question of race.

It is tough to keep up with the goings on in theatrosphere as of late. Not so much to time to take it all in. But, it is encouraging to see the conversation, consternation, and community like back in the good old days. The all or nothing days.

Not sure what I could add to the diversity talk that hasnt already been said. I usually don't feel compelled to engage in these sorts of rowdydows.

As a half cuban half gringo who has never read as anything to most folks other than white, I find that just about every audible 'white' voice seems to be aiming for catharsis (even my own)... and that when it comes to race, the white catharsis happens quicker than the minority catharsis.

Finding our catharsis isnt the problem though is it?

I think a direction we need is getting black people and white people to socialize more and better and more deeply.

Can theatre do that? Not white theatre or black theatre... just theatre?

That might not resolve economic inequity enough for the satisfaction of some (or most)... but even if it seems like weak tea, it is the only thing that I can think of right now.

I can't solve racial inequality in theatre or anywhere else. All I can do is examine it, dissect it, tell stories about it, listen to others stories about it.

I think that the best thing to do often is just listen. Don't even repeat. Because the stuff people say just gets revised each time it is repeated by the voice of another 'other'.

Start with listening. Fuck consensus. Listen. Do that first. That and when you see someone get a little steam behind them, get out of their way.

Everytime a minorty voice speaks a story, I wish more 'white' ears would listen. Forget rebuttal, just listen.

2 comments:

RVCBard said...

Everytime a minorty voice speaks a story, I wish more 'white' ears would listen. Forget rebuttal, just listen.

Thank. You.

rebar said...

"I think that the best thing to do often is just listen. Don't even repeat. Because the stuff people say just gets revised each time it is repeated by the voice of another 'other'."

Nicely said, sir.