Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why get the cure when all you really need is assurance?

It appears that I had forgotten how to blog. It used to be a habit. Almost daily, I would show up in this virtual space and type all sorts of crazy, provocative, personal items. I would fashion manifestos and take pot shots at virtual frienemies.

But during the last production something happened. Suddenly I found that I wasn't compelled, or perhaps I wasn't compelled to the same degree as I had been before.

Is there such a thing as "blogger's block"? I ask this because even though I haven't written much here lately, I have been writing. I have also been reading alot. Reading happens in shifts for me. It is sort of like the seasons. When the reading season hits I want to get as much of the crop in as possible before the frost stops and self diagnosed dyslexia sets back in.

I don't tend to believe in 'writer's block'. I believe that if you think you have 'writer's block' then the best thing to do is to just start writing random words on a page. Then rewrite the same words over and over again until the words become sentences and then the sentences become something more.

I believe that sounds and shapes can work like rorschachs and that you can become your own psychoanalysis. I'm not claiming that you can cure your neurosis yourself (most of us I think in all honesty don't want the skeleton key to our own minds, we just want assurances that we are on track regarding our 'meaning'), but by simply writing nine random words on a page, and then rearranging them into phrases and then amplifying and supplementing them into sentences, one can start to map thoughts and dreams and visions that one didn't realize were sitting beneath the apparent mind.

We don't want the cure. We just want assurance.

That is a thought that wasn't inside my conscious mind five minutes ago when I sat down and started typing randomly.

If you can think of a song, then just keep humming or strumming scales.

I'm going to take this instruction. I'm going to take this medicine myself.

I feel like I still have great things, great thoughts inside me. I have to try.

You should too. If you feel discouraged. You should keep putting various words on the page or screen. Just keep doing it.

Wow. I didn't think I had another post in me tonight. But, here it is.

Alright, back to Seven Snakes.

1 comment:

silent nic@knight said...

Hi Bob,

Your method for curing writer's block was used to great effect by Jack in The Shining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O0ZfZG

Blogger's block is much different than writer's block. It's more akin to publisher's block.