Sunday, July 04, 2010

Are you still connected? What do you want from your theatrosphere?

I told a friend that now was an exciting time for off loop theatre. She seemed surprised to hear me say this. I thought more people were getting work produced. I thought the press was more interested, I thought people were still coming to see shows at the off loop level (of course this is a hard to agree upon thing to define...off loop of off off loop anyway, I think the people I know are getting work up, the work is being seen, they are growing as artists, they are making it work).

I've seen a ton of good theatre in the past 2 years. Most of those productions are listed over in my margin (I occasionally don't get a show up there that I've seen, but most of them I do.

However, I do think there is a by product of that energy and business and excitement. I think that sometimes many of us let our connections fall to the wayside. We get so busy in the making of the art, that we don't have as many beers and behind the scene connections as we once did.

Fewer posts about the work, about the day to day of what we do.

So, in a roundabout way here is my question... are we all still as connected as we once were? I mean on any level you wish to address be it locally here in Chicago or nationally and virtually on theatrosphere?

Is the theatrosphere still giving you want you want from it? What do you want from it?

No comments: